A commitment to safety from each and every employee
To Cornerstone, nothing is more important than ensuring the safety of our employees, subcontractors, and the public. We are proud to say we maintain one of the finest safety records in the industry and continually surpass local and national safety standards.
Commitment and accountability at every level
Safety at Cornerstone requires a constant personal commitment from each and every individual employee. This is at each step of the way, and at every level of the company.
We put equal emphasis on the team approach to safety, however, ensuring that our executives and all employees in the field work together to help ensure fundamental safe practices and continued innovations in our safety program.
Whether discussing safety in terms of individual accountability or teamwork, we are guided by five basic principles:
- Preventing injury, occupational illness, and property damage;
- Establishing policies and procedures that will ensure all employees are actively involved in safe work practices;
- Outlining the safety, health duties, and responsibilities of all individuals involved;
- Creating and implementing a plan for safety and health education, training, and monitoring that promotes the identification and elimination of hazards and/or unsafe acts;
- Identifying and addressing all environmental concerns.
It is all in the planning
Another component of our success is that we believe in staying on top of any and all workplace safety issues. This means our superintendents and project managers make safety planning a part of each day. And it means that all employees participate in weekly safety meetings.
Staying on top of safety issues also means that we have an extensive and ongoing training program consisting of OSHA-related training and company-sponsored coursework. As added motivation, we establish incentive programs that reward safe performance at both the team and individual levels.
On a human scale
At Cornerstone, we never forget that every project is built by a team of individuals, all of whom deserve to go home injury-free at the end of each day's work. That is ultimately the goal of – and the reason for – our safety program. Techniques employed to achieve these goals include:
- Drug Free Workplace (We conduct pre-hire and post accident / injury drug testing for all employees and are enrolled in the Florida Bureau of Workers’ Compensation Drug-free Workplace Program.)
- Safety Training for Personnel (Every employee hired by Cornerstone is required to complete a safety training orientation.)
- Safety Trainings are held weekly
- Morning stretch sessions are part of our daily routine before the crews leave for their assignments
- Safety Bonuses
- Documented Safety Programs & Procedures
- Managers, Crew Leaders and Foreman are 10 Hour OSHA Certified